View Single Post
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

My two cents:

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasurfer View Post
I have a 2.8Ghz, 4Gig RAM, using Leopard 10.5.1. I calculated my start up time today, it is 34 seconds. I find it a bit slow, as I have run Windows XP within 30 seconds before with poorer hardware spec than my current iMac.
First of all, pitting the load times of two very different operating systems against each other as if they were equals or even using the two in some vague point of comparison is completely irrelevant. The hardware specs they are running makes no difference either, because the software works and uses said hardware in totally different ways.

Additionally, any boot time for any computer running any OS that is less than a minute is pretty darn good. The four second variance you listed is far less time than it would for you to read this post, thereby making it a fairly negligible variance in my book. Four seconds of your time is not going to make or break a thing. Even sixty seconds of your time is not going to cause you any major delays or "waste" any time.

Lastly, the Mac OS is really meant to be running all the time. There is little need to ever actually shut down the computer completely. If you are going to be away for an extended period of time, simply put the computer to sleep. That way when you return, a tap of the keyboard or mouse will bring the computer back to a state of readiness almost instantaneously.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks