Thread: Mac Security
View Single Post
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddestroyer View Post
. . . do I still have to worry about defragmenting and cleaning my register?
Defrag info on this board can be found here, and here, two of numerous posts on the subject.

Macs don't have a register, so the problem doesn't exist.
Quote:
Also does anyone know of any checks/online check I can take my mac through. I am getting the odd pop up on safari here?
Make sure your browser's popup control is set to off. A couple of security-check sites are here and here. Use them with the firewall turned on, then turned off (if you aren't using a router).
Quote:
Do i need any addition firewall/antivirus/anti-malware software just to be sure?
This link is to The Official Mac AntiVirus and Firewall FAQ in the Switcher Forum, but there's firewall info starting at Post 96 on this page. It's worth reading the entire thread and all the FAQ threads.

Quick and dirty: There are NO Mac viruses, and any Mac anti-virus program looks for Windows viruses only, useful only if your machine is on a network that includes Windows machines that don't have their own anti-virus apps.
QUOTE Thanks