View Single Post
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

You would lose out on all the benefits that will come with increased popularity, like more software developers, ported games, more Mac related products and accessories, etc.

I'm taking this basic IT class and we've been talking about security. Some extremists worried about cyber-terrorism think we're overly dependent on IT and we should basically abandon network-based IT. My response was that it's all a balance of risk/reward. People who drive are more likely to get into a deadly accident than people who walk, but the risk is low so we drive. If the risk went up significantly, we would start walking more.

There may be threats of viruses, cyber terrorism or whatever you want to call it, but in reality the risk is very low and just being smart about what you do will keep you safe from 90% of the threats that target idiots. The "Slammer" and "Code Red" viruses were both designed to attack security weaknesses that had been identified and patched long before, but lazy people didn't update. Before switching to Macs I never had a virus problem with my computers because I was smart about how I used it and I didn't let idiots touch it.

We also discussed that the biggest myth in IT is the idea of total security. Nothing in the IT world is completely secure, NOTHING. There's always a way to find a workaround or reengineering. Apple users who think they are completely safe are just kidding themselves. The risk may be much lower, but it's there.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks