View Single Post
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

There is NOTHING out there faster than the current Intel Core Duo2. No G4 could even come close. So I call that article bunk!

My Giga Designs 1.8Ghz G4 was $199 at the time. It was new in the box. It was quite a bit lower than retail then. That was at least a year ago now.

My 1.8Ghz G4 in a Digital Audio with 133Mhz Bus, 1.5GB RAM, Radeon 9800 Pro takes around 3.5 hours to convert a DVD to an MP4 in Handbrake. My 1.66Ghz Intel Mac Mini takes less than 55 Minutes to do the same conversion. There is no way any G4 will ever equal leave alone beat a Core Duo.

Another thing they are not telling you, Memory Bandwidth. At 133Mhz even, the memory bandwidth will not be enough to really support that CPU. That is one thing that holds it back. Since you own the machine, upgrading will make a large difference, but don't spend too much as if you go too far you just as well buy a Intel Mini. I did my Digital Audio as a project as for me building and upgrading computers is Fun.

Ask Baggss about his AGP PowerMac with 100Mhz Bus with faster G4 CPU's.

They use Adobe for their proof. Adobe CS2 runs under Rosetta on the Intel Macs and is slow due to running under emulation. Some have said that it runs like on a G4 1.2Ghz on the Intel Macs. Use Universal applications for the tests and the results would be a lot different.
QUOTE Thanks