Thread: Wep, Wpa, Wpa2
View Single Post
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted1 View Post
I remember I made a mistake when I first set up my router (I have the same as you do) When I entered the wpa code to log on I confused the the small l (L) with the large I I printed the code page from the router... It caused me no end of problems until I realized what had happened.

I now use WPA without Broadcasting SSID and use Mac filtering so only my Two macs and Two PC can use the Internet
Was a little concerned about the small 'L' (had 2 of them), but discounted that since I had full access to the router from my MBP, just no internet access.
Am using MAC address filtering - would this allow me access to the router regardless of having the encryption set properly?
And will using MAC address filtering actually prevent others from accessing the network or can a hacker work around this also?

Will probably start looking at the new 'n' routers. Seems they will all have WPA2. Don't really have a lot of personal info to worry about except website log-ins, but am a private person. (Won't even sign up for grocery store discount cards that track your purchase history.)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks