View Single Post
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
I have a similar problem - a floppy full of old Mac files from 1995 that I would really like to get onto my G5, but of course, it doesn't have a floppy drive, and my PC won't read the format.

Perhaps the solution to both problems (and the reason I bring this up) is to find an external USB floppy drive that works with Macs, place your files onto a floppy (the LCIII has a floppy drive as I recall) and read it with the new drive.

Would any readers be familiar with an external floppy drive that is supported by Macs? What file format did Mac OS use? Can Mac OS X still read it?
Years ago, I ran a Mac emulator on my Amiga called "Shapeshifter", and as I recall, the biggest problem was getting it to read/write Mac floppies because the Mac had some sort of proprietary variable-speed floppy drive.

I believe later in the classic Mac line, capability was added to read/write/format MS-DOS compatible floppies. If you have a working machine, I would check to see if it's capable of doing so. I know that a USB floppy drive, attached to an OS X machine will easily read MS-DOS formatted floppies.
QUOTE Thanks