View Single Post
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Hey unhinged40, based on other threads in these forums, it is likely that your computer didn't freeze, it just took a VERY long time to install the latest OS X update. Were you running the 10.4.9 update perchance? Apparently it takes a long, long, long (did I mention it takes a L-O-N-G :dive time to install. If you turn it off in the middle, you run into all sorts of pain. I suspect that this is what is happening to you.

You have two choices as I see it: (1) Do a clean install of Mac OS X, and then apply all the updates again, this time waiting for a very long time for the last one to complete or (2) take it to Apple and let them have a run at fixing it.

I am not sure which one is better. Path (1) will get your machine back on its feet faster, but it is more work for you. Path (2) will take longer, but pretty much ensures success in the long run.

Good luck!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks