View Single Post
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmackie305 View Post
I'm going to be purchasing a MacBook Pro for college (it'll be my first mac) and I'm trying to wait until Leopard comes out to purchase it.

I use OSX at my school and I'm comfortable running programs and stuff...but haven't had a chance to really explore and feel confident about troubleshooting on a Mac (networking, hardware/software issues, using it fluently (shortcuts), etc). I want to make sure I'm able to really get to know the OS before I go off to college.

So here's my question... How long it it take you guys to feel 100% comfortable with your MacBook Pro and OSX?

-Ben
A couple of weeks and plenty of time lurking in these forums, there's a lot of good and knowledgeable folks here. There are also a ton of FAQs that will get you up to speed quickly.

Fortunately, troubleshooting your Mac is usually a pretty rare necessity. But if you feel inclined to learn the nuts and bolts of the OS, I recommend Running Mac OS X Tiger.

BTW, Leopard is still pretty far off from what I've seen - is there some killer feature that you must have? If not, I recommend buying now and seeing what the hype is about once it's out. For right now, there is little contained within Leopard that can't be had via third-party apps on Tiger. Even if you do feel the need to upgrade immediately, from what I understand, upgrading is a lot more straightforward for OS X than it is with Windows. It usually runs around $129 which seems pretty reasonable compared to other OSes.
QUOTE Thanks