Thread: I'm new
View Single Post
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Im not whiteshark, but Ill answer. I think there is a big misconception on repair permissions. All your files have certain permissions that are needed so that certain "users" can use those files.. so for example if the webserver needs to access certain files, those files should be owned by 'www' and writeable by 'www' or they can be owned by anyone as long as those permissions have group or everyone writeable permissions. This is the same with core services, like say the aqua interface.. if some of the permissions get messed up bad enough, some parts of your OS might stop working. Now this is very unlikely, but it can happen. When you do an Update/Upgrade to your OS it is good to repair your permissions since the installer sometimes does not leave the owner or permissions correctly on certain files that "might" interfere with the way the OS is supposed to work, but most of the time even with wrong permissions it will usually work just fine, but you do have those times that it will indeed mess with your system.

What I am trying to say is that it's a good idea to fix your permissions every once in awhile, especially after an Update. Find a program like Onyx and just run some of the daily/weekly/monthly/quarterly tasks and you'll be all good
QUOTE Thanks