View Single Post
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxblu View Post
I recently purchased a macbook for 1099 (1.83 core duo) and my experiences I will share for any of those thinking of switching from PC to a mac. First I will say that I was looking for something sleek and simplistic in design. One of the first things I noticed on the new machine was the sharp edge where your palm rests when using the touchpad. What a horrible design flaw.
I agree with this, it is a little annoying, but I have just shifted my posture and now it's not such an issue.

Quote:

Then after about 30 mins on the machine I notice it got extremely hot. Too hot to use as a "laptop" unless you're wearing asbestos pants. I then run across countless profesional reviews and forums noting these problems and a string of others including hardware reliablility.
Any Windows laptop running the same specs and anywhere near as sleek has the same issue, or simply has very loud fans. Having said that, I have never had mine get uncomfortably hot.

Quote:

After only 2 days I noticed problems with the maching locking up and becoming unresponsive. I recall my college professors (a few years ago) having issues with their mac's locking up and having to hard reboot and go through a lengthy process (sometimes multiple reboots) to get back to a functional machine.
You must be unlucky. My MacBook has yet to lock up at all. I have had one crash (Firefox) in 5 weeks. Apple, Ctrl, Esc allows a force quit of any hanging programme BTW.

Quote:

I found OS X just as awkward to use as OS 9 that I was familiar with in college. It has improved but I think I was hoping for more. The two finger scrolling and right clicking is a bad choice IMO b/c at times the right click menu pops up when you want to scroll. Overall my experience left me realizing that this was a terribly designed piece of hardware with an even worse OS (although I bought it to run boot camp and windows as the primary OS so that wasn't as big of a problem).
I have to wonder about your honesty here. You're complaining about the right click on OS X and then say it's fine via Bootcamp... which it isn't. In fact running Windows on a MacBook without a Windows style mouse can be frustrating.

Quote:
I have found apple and pro-mac forums to be extremely misleading. One example: an article written by a reviewer in response to the comment that a dell pc was less than a comparable mac. This is in fact true (I could have gotten the same machine through dell with a NEW core 2 chip vs. the yonah for the same price). <snip...> There's a reason why mac users make up less than 10% of the computer using pop. Switch? Not me. Dell Inspiron with Vista for me folks!!
Sorry, but equivalent Dells are not cheaper than Macs, like for like. You have to take into account the performance/specs as well as what the design.

A MacBook $1499

Core 2 Duo @ 2ghz
1 gig DDR 2 RAM
120GB HDD
13" Screen
Dual Layer DVD Combo
OS X including iLife
Remote
Intel GMA GFX

Equivalent Dell

Well... I tried to put one together but got the below error (Microsoft Site you see... even in IE I got the error...) Anyway, if you select an equivalent machine (almost impossible because Dell don't do high end specs in their smallest machines...)

If you include Vista upgrade, Core 2 Duo at 2.0ghz, all the software you get with OS X, 120GB HDD and 1 GIG of RAM, you're looking at around $1500

Error message at the dell site

Quote:
Originally Posted by dell
The file '/dellstore/config.aspx' has not been pre-compiled, and cannot be requested.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: The file '/dellstore/config.aspx' has not been pre-compiled, and cannot be requested.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): The file '/dellstore/config.aspx' has not been pre-compiled, and cannot be requested.]
System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildR esultInternal(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile) +3369654
System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildR esultWithNoAssert(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile) +93
System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVirtualPath ObjectFactory(VirtualPath virtualPath, HttpContext context, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean noAssert) +111
System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CreateInstance FromVirtualPath(VirtualPath virtualPath, Type requiredBaseType, HttpContext context, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean noAssert) +54
System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.GetHandlerHelper( HttpContext context, String requestType, VirtualPath virtualPath, String physicalPath) +31
System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.System.Web.IHttpH andlerFactory2.GetHandler(HttpContext context, String requestType, VirtualPath virtualPath, String physicalPath) +40
System.Web.HttpApplication.MapHttpHandler(HttpCont ext context, String requestType, VirtualPath path, String pathTranslated, Boolean useAppConfig) +139
System.Web.MapHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.Http Application.IExecutionStep.Execute() +120
System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionS tep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +155

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.42
QUOTE Thanks