View Single Post
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

My only concern with this thread is a possible overstating of the differences between the two platforms.

I had to use Windows at a new workplace after using Macs for 20 years since System 6. My own computers always were Macs, and it still is. I ran Windows 95 (when it was current) on a previous Mac using emulation, and after only a couple of weeks I had progressed to the point where RegEdit was old hat. After I changed the system's icons and file names to those of Macintosh and made it look as much as possible like it was a Mac OS, I dumped it because it was pointless.

Really, a switch would be no big deal. Rocket science it ain't. You double-click icons, you open folders, you copy, you paste. The only real problems, other than breaking some habits, such as going to the wrong side of a window to close it and expecting to quit a program when you close its last window (differences Microsoft created when it introduced Windows), would be your inability to access WMP stuff with DRM, or half-baked websites using Active-X.

After 20 years using Macs at work, I had no trouble switching to the Windows 2000 setup on Dells at my new place of employment, other than cursing Windows' clumsiness and the third-rate networking apps everyone is forced to use because of the IT department's anti-virus straitjacket. Viruses and spyware over-ride all other concerns there, and the only people who realize how crippling this is use Macs at home. The Windows-only users don't know anything different and probably think it's the best there is. I'm surprised they don't all drive Trebants.

I can't say I was surprised at how similar Windows 2000 is to Windows 95. I suspect I could sit down at a machine running XP and find it too similar to 95 for words.
QUOTE Thanks