View Single Post
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbatson
I'm going to use the drive with caution since it could be a media or drive hardware failure. . . .
Disk Utility runs a S.M.A.R.T. check. I don't know whether it could run a separate check on an external drive. (Disk Utility's Help, when I typed in smart, suggests that it will.) My machine's drive has four partitions, and I have to click on the main-drive icon to verify its status. Your drive would have to have SMART built in.

There's a freeware app called SMARTReporter that runs continuous checks on drives. I don't know whether you can set the thing up to work on an external drive, and I don't think it's universal binary. But if you can run it through Rosetta and still have it show up in the menu bar, you'll know at all times (hopefully) whether the drive is dying.

You can set it up so it'll send an email to you if anything's wrong, so maybe it would run through Rosetta even without the icon.
QUOTE Thanks