View Single Post
dtownley1

dtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: macbook

yeah, I found Appleworks was only good about 4 or so years ago. MS Word has more powerful capabilities, and I also found there were a few bugs with Appleworks on OS9 - I didn't use it much on OS X, but I guess the stability would have improved.

One program I can't get by without, is mPlayer (possibly only OS X?). It's a really stable media player. For some reason, it operates somewhat differently on Intel macs (opening movies spread out from the controller window (like scaling an image), rather than having the controller in one window and the movie in another, as it used to be on my old iBook) It plays .avi movies really well and also handles a lot of other media files.

VLC is OK, but pops up with lots of random problems. None serious, but it just keeps bringing them up. It plays pretty much anything, and doesn't require any special codecs or additional downloads.

...and I just noticed you said you're running OS 9. Personally, I've found Safari is a whole lot faster than Firefox, although Firefox has some necessary plugins for me (deviantart browsing and Japanese translators) I didn't think firefox was available for OS 9.