09-10-2006, 10:27 PM
Microsoft Office 2004
Originally Posted by NTL1991
Hello. I need to know what software I need to download or buy for a basic Mac OS X Computer....Does anyone know anymore software that is essential for normal use of a Mac?
- Essential for school/work perhaps, otherwise not needed. Free alternatives include NeoOffice and OpenOffice
- Included with every new Mac, no need to purchase
- not a necessity. Discs can be burned using iTunes or Finder
Maybe Photoshop 7
- Extremely expensive image editor that is definitely not an essential piece of software for an average user.
- Old and outdated, yet still useful. Not needed if another office application suite is used
- Good to have, free download. merely a personal preference
- Nice to have, not needed. Again, a personal preference
- Very good mulit-IM client. Not a necessity, but good to have. Free download
Windows Media Player 9
- Nice to have, not needed. A plethora of other alternatives exist. Most are free downloads.
In a nutshell, none of these are essential to the normal use or operation of a Mac or any computer for that matter. The included software with a new Mac would be plenty to get an average consumer through his daily computing. The majority of the software you listed is more a matter of personal preference and not essentialness.