View Single Post
wicker_man

wicker_man will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD

I just recently replaced the hard drive in my iMac G3 DV 400MHz, and it was a simple 10 minute job (even though I had never touched a Mac before in my life!).

You turn the iMac upside down, open the external monitor port door and remove 2 screws, plus the 2 next to the front stand thingy. It requires some force to take off the clear base panel (and it does make a loud click the first time I tried it and I thought I broke it, but it was fine).

You then need to remove the metal cage (try and use a magnetic screwdriver, dropping a screw into the mac is a bad idea with a 16,000V or so CRT screen). Then, remove the 4 screws and IDE/power cables holding the hard drive in, and slot in the new one. You may need to remove the RAM and Airport antenna to access the drive.

I used a Seagate 80GB IDE 7200rpm drive and had to set it to Master for it to work. Before, I had it as slave, but when I formatted as HFS+ and tried to install Panther, it complained that it couldn't boot off the drive. So I had to remove it and change the pins.

MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz, PowerMac G4 Cube + 17" LCD Studio Display, 2x1TB WD My Book Studio (FW800)
iPod Classic 160GB (Black), 3rd gen 40GB, iPhone 2G 16GB + Denon AH-C551K
NAD C370 + B&W 686 + Grado SR80
QUOTE Thanks