Thread: Canon SLR
View Single Post
sarahsboy18

sarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nice
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin_aa
Sarasboy, I agree the 50mm lenses are great however think that if someone were thinking portraits they may want to consider the 85mm. Canon has a few versions and all are supposed to be outstanding glass. I think that focal length works better for me than the 50, you can be a bit further away from your subject and it shrinks the background a bit (amount of background you have to concern yourself with.)
Good point... That being said, on a 1.6x crop like the Rebel or 20/30D the 50mm technically is right around the equivelant of 85mm on a full frame camera... Which is considered pretty standard for portrait photography. And the f/1.4 makes up for any DOF gains from the shorter focal length compared to the 85mm f/1.8. Now the real gem is the 85mm 1.2L... I rented it for a gig awhile back and it was amazing... But canon is really proud of that one ($$$).

As far as Sigma lenses... I don't personally buy them... but I am kind of a Canon snob... that's just me. I know other guys that do and love them.

Bottom line munch, and I'm sure Odin_aa will agree, it is really a matter of personal taste. You just have to hit the local shop and try a few out and see what works for you.

"If you had a friend who was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down a sidewalk, and he fell, that would be completely unacceptable." -Mitch Hedberg
QUOTE Thanks