View Single Post
bigbadandugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfx
The main benefit of matched sticks is they're less likely to cause crashes in systems using marginally designed and manfactured mother boards or chip sets.
True, but since this is a Mac group, presmably we don't have to worry about marginal products!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfx
The timing and data transfer rate differences can cause problems the rest of the system can't cope with.
This is a very significant point of which I assumed was a given. When I was referencing matched pairs, I was implying matched capacity, assuming nobody would consider installing two modules operating at different speeds. Installing two modules of different speeds would have a dramatically negative impact on performance. The best case scenario, which it should do, would be if the memory controller operated both channels at the speed rating of the slower module to avoid race conditions. I wouldn't want to chance it, though, and would always recommend installing memory modules with the same speed rating, even if they are slower than the bus speed.
QUOTE Thanks