View Single Post
MartinAustin

Thanks for the compliments! Here are some things you should know before you get your feet wet:

Design: Arguably the most important part of website design is Cascading Style Sheets (CSS). This is an embedded styling language that replaces a lot of antiquated HTML tags such as <font>, <strong>, etc. It is also an amazing way of getting your pages to look exactly as you want them, with precise positioning and stylization.

Programming: Javascript is going to be your oasis when it comes to client-side scripting (i.e. code that runs after a page has been fetched from the server). One of the better books on this (for beginners) is The Book of Javascript. For server-side scripting, PHP (Hypertext Preprocessor) is the best available that I have seen. Itís open source, easy to learn, and shares a lot of syntactical elements with Perl. It works best in conjunction with MySQL, which is up next.

Databases: MySQL reigns supreme when it comes to web database applications. It is fast, easy to use (knowing Structured Query Language [SQL] helps make it easier), and like PHP it is open source.

Youíll most often find this configuration for a web host:

Linux / Apache / PHP / MySQL

Itís stable, efficient, and fast. Most web hosts also have cPanel, which is a frontend to manage your website, including mailing lists, forums, polls, subdomains, etc. One of the more important features to look for is the inclusion of phpMyAdmin on a host, as this gives a visual representation to working within the databases you create, rather than using a command-line interface.

Let me know if you have other questions (as long as its not about setting up your own web server on a Mac, as I donít own one and have no idea how to go about it)
QUOTE Thanks