View Single Post
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Lets start off with , my macbook came with the firewall set to off by default , Whats your thoughts ? Also , i'm impressed with the software that comes pre installed and will use numbers and pages on a daily basis - although i may install Office at some point . Whats on your must have list of programs you have installed ?
Having the firewall off in Windows would be a foolish thing to do, however, keeping it off in OS X is the default. (Please read through our Sticky Post on viruses and malware.) If you feel safer by turning the firewall on, that's OK. No harm in keeping it on....

The free iWork suite (Pages, Numbers, and Keynote) can be used in lieu of Word, Excel, and Powerpoint. If you have a lot of interaction with other users especially in the business world, then it may be a good idea to obtain Mac Office. However, since MS will likely release a new version of MS Office this Fall, I would wait before purchasing it.

As far as the must have applications go, everyone has a different perspective on what is "must have". Stay tuned and keep an eye on the forum area that has your interest which will help you decide on what applications you need. The Mac App Store is the best place to shop for applications. There are also some very good individual apps that are not in the Mac App Store.

And a last bit of advice: Make backups! Time Machine is included with your Mac and works with an external hard drive. Take advantage of it.
QUOTE Thanks