View Single Post
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Hi and Welcome to the Mac Forums!

I have the same exact machine as you have, however, I purchased mine last November. Your new iMac only has one fan because that's all it needs. Your old iMac had a fan over the optical drive - your new iMac has no optical drive, hence, fan not needed there.

The one large fan it uses cools the CPU - GPU and draws air from below up and over the hard drive assembly keeping it cool. You might notice the open vents at the bottom of the machine and the large exhaust vent right below the stand bevel. Cool air is drawn in at the bottom and exhausted thru the other vent. Very efficient cooling system, no need to be concerned.

As for the lock up you experienced, if it occurs again post the log here for us to look at. Keep in mind that your iMac is warranted for one year and you have 90 days of free telephone support from Apple. So take advantage of both. And... I strongly advise you to purchase Apple Care before your 90 days of free telephone support are up.
QUOTE Thanks