Thread: Label maker
View Single Post
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribiner23 View Post
For what it's worth, I have been using Pages off and on since iWork '05 and I've never been overly impressed with it. It can make pretty newsletters and resumes, but for any serious work--- especially anything that has to be shared with other users-- the standard is still the Microsoft suite.
I beg to differ. There is a blank template in Pages, meaning you don't have to use any of the existing designs (which are EXCELLENT and blow MS's templates out of the water incidentally -- I get *constant* compliments when I use them from Word users at all levels of proficiency, and more than a little jealousy!).

Anyway, as you can "start from scratch" as desired, I've found (as a former Pagemaker, Xpress and InDesign whiz of 20 years experience) that Pages can do VERY serious work ... I recently used it to design ads for a hotel chain you would have likely seen if you've read any of the big name magazines in the last year or so. Thanks in part to improvements in digital presses and PDF, we really don't need much of the stuff that use to require Xpress et al and make them cost $800. I haven't thrown away my InDesign just yet -- it definitely has features Pages can't duplicate -- but Pages and Illustrator is what I use 90 percent of the time when I do commercial ad and design work anymore.
QUOTE Thanks