Thread: airport prob
View Single Post
RadDave

RadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrp View Post
does that mean i have to buy a new card to connect to the 'n' network. it's a public network so i don't have any control over what protocol it uses. thanks for your reply
Well, you did not specify which Mac you owned - I'm assuming a laptop since you're talking about taking the machine to a commercial 'hotspot' - please provide the specs. Your machine is likely not upgradeable to 802.11 n hardware; thus the reason to know your laptop's specs.

Now, public hotspots should typically provide a number of wireless networks, such as 802.11 b/g/n (or even 'ac' now) and even dual bands (i.e. 2.4 & 5 GHz) to accommodate customers w/ different aged computers. And as already stated, even if a router is transmitting at only a single protocol, such as 'n', it usually will see the older Wi-Fi protocols and operated at their slower speeds.

BTW - have you even tried to connect @ the hotspot? If unsuccessful, did you talk w/ one of the owners or employee who helps w/ the network? Dave
QUOTE Thanks