View Single Post
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 26,337
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by loquay View Post
Thanks for the feedback Nick, really appreciate it, if it was up to you what would you do?
You didn't say if you had any sort of budget limitations...but let's say we stick close to the $1199 price of the 13" non-retina MacBook Pro.

I see you having three choices:

1. Get the $1199 13" non-Retina MacBook Pro. And you can upgrade the ram or hard drive later if you find you need to.
2. Get the 13" retina MacBook Pro...but...get the model with the 8gig of ram and 256gig of storage for $1499. This way you get more ram & more storage upfront...which would help extend the lifespan of this computer...IF you intend on keeping it for a long time.
3. If you can wait...wait until the next MacBook Pro model update...and see what your options are then.

The positives & negatives with each choice (as I see it...others may think differently):

1. 13" non-retina MacBook Pro.
Positives: Ram & storage upgradeability.
Negatives: Still a very good computer...but it will be a 2+ year-old model by the time of the next laptop update. Older grahics hardware. Slower traditional HD.

2. 13" retina MacBook Pro.
Positives: Retina display supposed to be sharper. Flash storage much faster than traditional HD. Newer & faster graphics hardware.
Negatives: Ram and storage not upgradeable (which is why I suggest getting the upgrade to 8gig of ram & 256gig of storage). Costs a bit more.

3. Wait until next model release.
Positive: Apple may surprise us with something better. But probably still non-upgradeable models (not upgradeable after purchase).
Negative: Apple only releases new models with "speed-bumped-up" cpu's (slightly faster cpu's).

In my current situation...I don't need a new laptop right away...so I would probably wait & see what Apple comes out with next...then Buy! But you may not be able to wait...which makes your situation different.

I think that if I was a person that absolutely positively had to buy NOW...even though I REALLY prefer upgradeability...I think that because the 13" non-retina MacBook Pro is getting to be close to a 2 year-old model, and the graphics hardware on the 13" retina MacBook Pro is better...I would probably have to go with the $1499 (upgraded) 13" retina MacBook Pro.

If I was asked this same question 6+ months ago...I probably would have said the 13" non-retina MacBook Pro. But now in early 2014...that model is getting older. Still a very good computer. But when you're buying a new computer...you kind of want the newest & fastest technology.

On the other hand. If $200-$300 can be saved buying the 13" non-retina MacBook Pro (refurbished)...I would get that one.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks