View Single Post
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by west1 View Post
Funny, i have always learned, in economics in college, and as an investor, that a publicly owned corporation's first responsibility is to make a profit!
Everything else comes in down the totem pole!
Don't think anyone has said anything different. Corporations that aren't profitable don't endure. But, corporations whose ONLY vision is the almighty dollar generally don't end up as profitable as those who desire and strive to excel beyond the strict bottom line.

Honestly, I'm getting a bit tired of rehashing this so I probably ought to just let it rest. But, I will give one more example, professional sports. Professional football is a HUGELY profitable business, and you can be sure that those who manage it strive to maximize profits.

Still, many if not most of those who manage and execute the business of football, also love the game of football, and desire to excel in it, as well as make a lot of money along the way. Teams, coaches, players, managers want to win games and championships because that is a path to great profit. But, they also want to win because they are human beings with multi-faceted outlooks on life like all of us.
People as individuals rarely make every decision for coldly logical reasons. Anyone who has worked long with people finds that groups of people together don't have that much better track record. And, for better or for worse corporations are groups of people run by individuals and groups of people, and decisions that affect the bottom line will be made by those same people the way they always have been.
Some will be well reasoned and calculated decisions in accordance with best business practices. Many more won't.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks