View Single Post
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Eh... I'm not sure I agree with the advice to buy Snow Leopard and then get Mavericks. If you download Mavericks safely enough and make the bootable installer, then there's not much point to buying Snow Leopard also.
I personally like having the disks for the better safe than sorry approach (especially since I have older Mac's that I still run 10.6 on). But I agree...if someone has a bootable 10.9 USB installer...and repairing the disk via Disk Utility is desired...then this should work.

But (to the OP as a "watch-out")...if the hard drive has problems that Disk Utility cannot repair (such as failing hardware)...then Disk Utility is not going to help. Just got to run Disk Utility to see.

- Nick

p.s. You should also check the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive via "System Report":

- Apple Menu
- About This Mac
- More Info
- click on "SATA" in the left column
- look to the info on the right for the "SMART" status

p.p.s. I'm using 10.8...the steps for the SMART status info may be slightly different for 10.6.8.

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks