View Single Post
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Welcome to the Mac Forums!

Quote:
At the first sign of trouble, Finder shows me Time Machine Backups running (those little arrows chasing each other in a circle) but in reality, the backup drive is not running. It's like it's asleep. I'm thinking the external backup drive might have a power saving mode that causes it to shut down and it won't restart when Time Machine starts a backup.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing these hang ups? When I get a bigger drive, should I be looking for a particular specification?
We've run into this problem before with several users. Certain external hard drives will go to sleep after a period of inactivity. Not much you can do about it unless the drive manufacturer has issued a firmware update to correct it. When the drive sleeps and Time Machine tries to activate and begin its backup, it fails because the drive isn't awake. That may or may not cause the system to hang.

It's best to look for a new external hard drive, one that does not go to sleep or power saver mode. The other option you have is to leave the drive disconnected and only connect it when you wish to make a TM backup. Hourly backups are not necessary in my opinion. Of course you must have the personal discipline to make backups once you remove the automatic back up feature.
QUOTE Thanks