Thread: Slow Buffering
View Single Post
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

With as little free space on that external hard drive, I haven't a doubt that your external hard drive is fragmented. That absolutely will impact streaming performance as the drive's heads move all over the place trying to read the bits and pieces of all your media that are spread around. I've experienced this myself. You will either need to defrag it (I highly recommend iDefrag), or do a "rough" defrag using a cloning tool like SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner. In either case, make sure you have a backup!!!!!

I don't know if you need a new router (you didn't mention what router you have)... if it's at least 802.11n compliant, then not likely. In the router's wi-fi security settings, you should be using WPA2 for optimal speeds. That really does make a difference.

You didn't mention what connection your external hard drive is using. If it's USB 2, then that may be part of the problem also. I'd recommend Firewire/USB 3/Thunderbolt.
QUOTE Thanks