View Single Post
skallal

skallal is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" mid 2012 16 gb ram

I'm using an external USB 3 drive, the Seagate Backup Plus 1 TB. I do have USB 3 on my MBP mid 2012, the main reason I chose it. I assume USB 3 is faster than FireWire?

I have my 1TB in the 3 partitions: 2 - 250 MB partitions and a 500 MB partition. The 250 MB partitions I use for cloned drives, and the 500 MB partition is for Time Machine. I'm pretty new on Mac backups, but managed pick it up in the past couple weeks.

I use Super Duper (unregistered) for cloning. Registration gives more features, but it does NOT have incremental backups. Thinking of Carbon Copy Cloner for the incremental feature, and maybe use it instead of Time Machine.

I put Mavericks on my MBP twice! The first try didn't go well. So put ML back on with the Super Duper clone. Later I figured out how do an OS upgrade with a clean install and Time Machine restore. First erase the partition and install Mavericks from a USB thumb drive. When the installation is nearly complete, there is a prompt to restore from Time Machine. The restore took me 3 - 4 hours because the install partition and the Time Machine backup partition were both on the external USB drive. But it restored my settings! Once I was satisfied with the new Mavericks installation, I cloned it to my internal hard drive. OS X has some pretty slick tools. If only I could do this on Windows!
QUOTE Thanks