View Single Post
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardcavellya View Post
My MacBook Pro was stolen recently. Fortunately I have the good sense to have my entire hard disk backed up.
Sorry to hear about that...that stinks!

Quote:
Here's what I did with my machine:

Also, I have a Windows Steam account and I want to use this machine for gaming by dual-booting. I play Deus Ex 1 and 2, Half-Life 1 and 2, Portal 1 and 2, Left4Dead 1 and 2, Quake 2, Doom 3. I don't play bleeding-edge games. I might be interested in Deus Ex 3 and id's Rage.
Gaming is probably the largest demand of the things you want to do. And having dedicated graphics hardware is usually best.

Quote:
I think that 13 inches is the sweet spot for screen size.
This does help to narrow things down. But as I mentioned above...having dedicated graphics hardware is best for this...and none of the 13" MBP's have dedicated graphics hardware.

Quote:
1. Which MacBook do I need?
Sounds like a 13" MBP would be a great choice. When it comes to gaming...you may just need to adjust the detail settings to best match the 13" MBP's abilities.

Quote:
2. MBPr doesn't have an optical drive, right?
That is correct.

Quote:
Can I get an external USB-powered drive to read DVDs...
Yes.

Quote:
3. Is 128 gigs of SSD enough to have Office and OSX in one partition and Steam with those games in another partition?
In my opinion...no. For what you want to do...I would say 256gig at least.

128gig might be doable for just an OS X partition...but 128gig for an OS X and Windows partition is going to cut things a bit thin. Simply subtract the amount of space the two OS installs will take up from the 128gig...and already you're running somewhat low on space.

And who knows what you will need for the future. Videos, music, photos, etc...in addition to what you already know you want to do.

Another thought is...do you REALLY need an SSD? Hard drive capacities of "traditional" hard drives are much higher & much less expensive.

Quote:
4. What's the minimum graphics hardware requirement for the games I like?
The best way to determine this is to check the system requirements for each of the games you're interested in from the developer's website.

Quote:
5. I really like Windows 7 but I hate that stupid interface for Windows 8. What version of Windows do I need, given that I'm mainly using it for Steam games?
Windows 7 or Windows 8 is certainly a personal choice. As far a Steam ...again...check with the Steam website in regards to what Steam recommends.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks