View Single Post
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swbca2 View Post
I need to write a description on a web site for 2 things for Mac users who are unware of the Mac file system and how to access it.

1. Please describe how a Mac user would download a .rar file into the root of a partition on their Mac hard drive from an http://download link. The download consists of 10 .rar files that make up an archive set. The total download size is 8GB.
I think the basis of the confusion you might be seeing in the posts above mine is that you may be misusing the word "root" in the context of the Mac/UNIX meaning of the word.

Would it be fair to say that what you actually meant there was the first level of the hard disk, often called the "root level" in Windows? If so, read on.

The answer to your question (1) is that they would have specified, ahead of downloading, where they would like downloads to go. Apple provides a built-in "downloads" folder that is located in Users/[username]/Downloads. This folder can be aliased ("shortcut"-ted) to the Dock if desired, or the user can simply change the target to whatever folder they want, including the desktop (not advised, except for temporary storage). So if you meant the "root level" of the hard drive, then sure you can put things there if you want (again, for organizational purposes, this is not recommended).

Quote:
2. Using the "RAR Expander" program, how would the Mac user access the .rar files he downloaded to the root of a partition and then expand the first "-part1.rar" file of a .rar file set ?
Every RAR file I've ever come across was put together by double-clicking on it, because I use a program that is automatically associated with RAR/PAR files called MacPAR Deluxe (but there are a number of others, including this RAR Expander probably). So as long as the RAR set is complete and in the same location, double-clicking the "first" or "part 0" one tells the program to assemble and decompress the entire set, saving the result in the same location.

Does that help?
QUOTE Thanks