View Single Post
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I admit that I'm not sure what it is that you're trying to do here - I don't understand what this disk image is, what kind of explanation is needed and how RAR files figure into all of this. I've been reading the following over a few times and don't know what it is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by swbca2 View Post
In case alarms go up in your head, this is not for over-writing the Mac drive . . its for creating a disk for a Navigation system that is attached to a USB port on the Mac.
Navigation system for what? How are you updating this navigation system?

Quote:
Mac owners normally download the Disk-Image archive to the root of an existing partition on the Mac hard drive. It must be at root to work.
Why does it have to be at the root directory? That seems like a really odd way to do something especially since the root directory is never meant to be manipulated by the user directly.

Quote:
Are you saying this isn't possible or just not the Apple way to do things . . like Windows says you shouldn't edit the registry, but its neccesary and normal to do.
It's certainly possible but not advisable.

Quote:
Second follow up . . . what you said about double-clicking was as if you were talking to a Mac user who knows how to browse the file sytem. How does the user browse to files at the root of the partition ?
Like they would any other directly. However, they'll only have read-only permissions.

Quote:
What is the root of a partition called on Mac when you get there ? Do partition objects have same naming convention as in Linux ? or what ?
It's called root, just as it is in Linux. The naming conventions are slightly different but a good portion of the filesystem is similar to Linux.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks