View Single Post
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swbca2 View Post
I need to write a description on a web site for 2 things for Mac users who are unware of the Mac file system and how to access it.

[...]

1. Please describe how a Mac user would download a .rar file into the root of a partition on their Mac hard drive from an http://download link.
Simply put, don't. Users should never be downloading and placing files in locations outside of their user folder manually. Unline Windows, where, for the most part, anything goes, you really ought to limit yourself to the user folder.

Quote:
2. Using the "RAR Expander" program, how would the Mac user access the .rar files he downloaded to the root of a partition and then expand the first "-part1.rar" file of a .rar file set ?
I'm not familiar with that application but I imagine that it will create file associations with RAR files and thus, you should be able to simply double click them.

Quote:
In case alarms go up in your head, this is not for over-writing the Mac drive . . its for creating a disk for a Navigation system that is attached to a USB port on the Mac.
If you're not talking about the root location on the OS X install, you can ignore my previous suggestion. If that is indeed the case, I'm not sure what you mean by "root" and how, if it's simply an external drive, it's any different than any other location.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks