View Single Post
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

To date I have NEVER EVER burned an optical disc anywhere but my home, despite owning a portable Mac since at least 2006.

On the increasingly-rare occasions I need to burn one anymore, the $40 one I bought six years ago -- sitting in a $25 Firewire 400 case -- does the job. Unlike the slot-loading drive in my MBP, the tray-loading external a) isn't prone to finicky failure, b) can read all sizes of CDs/DVDs with the help of a 3" adapter, and c) would cost a pittance to replace if I ever needed to do so (have occasionally thought of replacing it with a Blu-ray now that its possible to get Blu-ray viewing and burning software).

Thus far, the external burner has outlasted two (and working on three) Macs. So someone telling me the lack of an internal optical drive in a Mac is a dealbreaker -- when one of OWC's hottest-selling kits is the one that lets you REPLACE the optical drive with a bay for an SSD drive -- just makes me chuckle.
QUOTE Thanks