View Single Post
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDJCM View Post
MBP ~2011 13", has had a spill on keyboard BUT, will boot perfectly from another Mac's firewire'd target mode hard drive. The only broken hardware appears to be a usb port and the trackpad. It otherwise functions fine.

If I try to boot it from its own drive or a Snow Leopard DVD, it gives the 3 beeps.

I mean, if it works fine over Target Mode, doesn't that prove that everything is fine except the HDD?
Liquid spills can be VERY VERY unpredictable. Accessing a computer via Target Disk mode...and booting the computer from it's own HD or optical drive are different. Accessing a computer via Target Disk mode is sort of treating that computer as an external hard drive (which is VERY different from booting a computer from it's own HD). Apparently this difference was effected by the liquid spill.

I agree with bobtomay...the problem is probably not a hard drive issue.

Something electronic on the logic board was most likely damaged with the liquid spill...and this "electronic thing" must be a requirement in the startup/booting process. There are 1000's and 1000's of circuits on a logic board...and this is something that cannot be repaired by a user. This is why liquid spills almost always result in the need for a replacement logic board ($$$).

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks