View Single Post
Hyperborean

Hyperborean is on a distinguished road

Hopefully posting this here makes sense... I just bought a WD My Book for Mac 3TB for my iMac. I'm one of those people that thinks he knows more than he does and tends to learn from screwing up, so I guess I need to ask before I do things. What I am looking to do is use this external hard drive for constant backup and purely external storage. I was wondering if I can partition the drive to use 2 TB as just an area to drag and drop anything I don't want stored on my Mac. It will be 90% music and movies. Then I want that leftover 1TB to act as a time machine for what I keep on the Mac. With all of that being said does doing this even make sense? If it makes any difference my iMac is 500GB (should I just use 500GB for the time machine?). I know through reading these posts that you should backup everything but I need more storage space as I am now down to about 90GB left on this iMac and to be honest nothing on here will cause me to jump off a cliff if i lose it. And if this is just a stupid idea and there is an easier more logical way to do this please share it with me. Thanks.

Let us look each other in the the face. We are Hyperboreans, we know well enough how far outside the crowd we stand.
QUOTE Thanks