View Single Post
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Thanks guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I am a little surprised to hear that you didn't experience any performance issues...since many folks seem to experience computer slowdowns. Maybe this is because you tested MacKeeper on a newer faster computer...and maybe the folks that experience performance issues...have slower/older computers. Just a thought.
That could certainly be it. I imagine part of it might have been due to the "freshness" of the machine - it was a clean install and it wasn't used outside of the MK tests. In some ways, I think this helps MK in terms of its performance but I can't be certain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Allow me to point out a test I did on MacKeeper's "File Recovery" feature. In a nutshell... it sucks.
Yeah, I remember sitting there thinking, "why would I care about these random plists & xml files and not the files I just deleted?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
And some observations about its "encryption" module. What they do seems pretty comical. In fact, vansmith's observation that "MacKeeper also comes with encryption functionality which appears to do nothing that an encrypted disk image or FileVault canít" is on the money. That functionality is in fact an encrypted disk image... exactly what Disk Utility makes. I'd wager that their module is little more than a script that runs the command line version of Disk Utility.
Is MacKeeper worth buying?
It's very possible that's what they're doing. There's something to be said for wrapping up complexity in a neat little package but not for $40.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks