View Single Post
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatCom View Post
I have just had a customer drop off a Macbook with the same problem. If this was a Windows machine then I could buy whatever component I needed and install it easily. Apples laptops are getting harder to repair as they get smaller and are almost a throw away machine if they have a hardware problem now. You already pay a premium price for the device, expecting people to pay for Apple Care to make sure they can get a decent life out of a device is unacceptable.
You have a valid point, particularly now that Apple is using copious amounts of glue, and now even epoxy to put together their machines. Parts can also be difficult or impossible to procure. The same can't be said of other manufacturers, though there are always exceptions to the rule.

Apple is clearly going down a path of building very expensive, disposable machines, as evidenced by the Retina MacBook Pro and the latest iMacs. I too have a side business of repairing machines and I can tell you that this wasn't always the case. The plastic MacBooks are very serviceable. You can certainly get an LCD for less than $100 on eBay and replace it with about an hour's worth of labor. The same can't be said of its modern equivalent - the MacBook Air.

This is a shame and will eventually lead to a lot of us old school geeks who moved over to the Mac around the time they switched to Intel hardware, defecting to greener pastures. I still like OS X, but it's getting harder and harder to like Apple hardware.

Just my $0.02...

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks