View Single Post
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
It's perfectly expandable over Thunderbolt. There are TB boxes for PCI cards, so anything can be tossed into those. And from what I've read from comments by a couple professionals, their storage needs grows faster than anything else, so an external TB RAID array makes more sense vs having internal HDD bays, plus a RAID array is portable and can be moved easily to another workstation if need be.
What you mentioned may be right on the mark.

I probably should have been more specific in my earlier post. What I should have said was..."Very very powerful...but much less internally expandable & upgradable than the old Mac Pro."

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
If anything, Thunderbolt makes the new Mac Pro more expandable.
Again...maybe so. But Thunderbolt has been out for a little over 2 years now...and I've really seen very very little mainstream implementation of Thunderbolt devices by the average user. About the only device that we commonly hear about in everyday conversation regarding "Thunderbolt" is the 27" Thunderbolt display. And even this device isn't going to be in the average Apple computer owners home...due to the steep $999 price tag.

I realize that other Thunderbolt devices exist...but the average Apple computer user is not using or purchasing them.

Also...if "Apple history" teaches us anything...Apple has come out with all sorts of different port types over the years...and has done away with them just as quickly. I can make a list almost as long as my arm of port types that Apple has experimented with...and then did away with them.

Given that Thunderbolt has been around for 2 years (with very little implementation by the common user)...I wouldn't be surprised to see Thunderbolt ports disappearing!

But maybe the new Mac Pro will help change this.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks