Thread: ~ ` Key
View Single Post

Stephanella's Avatar
Member Since: Apr 28, 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 127
Stephanella is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook, 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1Gb 667 MHz, OS X 10.4.11

Stephanella is offline
Guys, I was wondering what the little sign on the ~ key is for. I mean this one:


In many languages such as French, Italian and Spanish we use these sort of accents (that one looks like a grave accent, to call it by its name really), but if you have an English/American keyboard you will need some special characters to be able to type e and a with that sort of accent on. So, if it is the grave accent, here are two questions:

a- where have they put its opposite accent on the keyboard?
b- how do I get it on the actual vowel? Because if I type "proble`me" it is not the same as the accent of the e where it should be.

It looks like one of the signs that we use in phonetics and not the grave accent. Anyone knows? Thanks!

Cogito, ergo lectito.
QUOTE Thanks