Thread: black screen
View Single Post
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnh View Post
it's made of plastic - but i dont have it with me - i've left it for a quote but the screen replacement doesn't sound right to me
i went to bed thinking i'd switched it off, got up in the morning and it was still on but ***gered
If the screen powers up briefly, it could be the display inverter, which is a module that supplies power to the back light. Typically with a faulty back light, you can still see an image on the screen if you squint and have it in the right light.

Regardless, if you dropped it off at a shop, it should be very easy for them to diagnose a screen problem. All they'll need to do is hook it up to an external display. If they get video on the external display, then it's isolated to the screen. It's rare for an LCD panel to fail outright, so it might just be the inverter, which is a roughly $70 part. I would personally charge about $100 in labor, which is assuming about 2 hours worth of work.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks