Member Since: Jan 07, 2008
Location: In Denial
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
03-28-2013, 09:42 AM
B&H Photo has another sale going and I can get the Nikon 85mm F1.8 for $397. This lens has been on my radar for quite a while, but having a hard time making up my mind.
1) It is one of Nikon's sharpest lenses, and a really good value at ~$400
2) But, I don't tend to use primes, have a 35mm f1.8 that gets little service
3) Setting up a home studio, but my max working distance is about 12 feet, which seems a bit short for this focal length on DX
4) Depending on which pro zoom I choose (and new or used) passing on the 85mm gives me 1/2 to 1/5 the cost toward a future zoom purchase.
5) On the other hand, I already have the Nikon 70-300mm VR, which is a decent lens (though a bit slow and variable Aperture). The 85mm would give me a fast medium telephoto
I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .