View Single Post
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookem0328 View Post
Thanks for the reply Nick. So, I guess from what you said, it would be worth it to keep the new card for someone utilizing the increased speed more than I am? ie. maybe video processing.
I'm assuming this is why you purchased the 5770 video card...for improved speed of graphics & video processing. But if you're not seeing improved speeds in the computing tasks you do (versus the stock GT-120 video card)...then I would guess that the 5770 isn't doing you a whole lot of good.

Quote:
...except for transfer speed?
Exactly. An SSD will:

- speed-up computer boot times
- speed-up launching times for applications
- speed-up the time it takes for files to be opened from the SSD
- speed-up the time it takes for files to be written to the SSD

An SSD does not really help with the rendering of graphics/videos...unless for some reason the program needs to access the SSD for more information during a rendering.

Quote:
That's a shame because I thought for sure the graphics card would help with at least the 3d rendering since it has the option to use OpenGL. Not to mention make things run quicker and smoother in Photoshop.
Different video cards can have different strengths. I would say double check the specifications for the GT-120 card versus the 5770 card...to see where the improvements are...and if those improvements relate to your work/projects.

Quote:
I just thought I didn't have some settings right. And I thought the SSD would help improve the speed of the actual computer with starting up, opening programs, and maybe even files. But I guess if those files are on a regular 7200 rpm drive, that wouldn't change much if any.
I think that with an SSD...you will see definite speed improvements versus a 7200rpm "traditional" hard drive. But SSD's are expensive. And if you're dealing with very large graphics/video files...you may run out of SSD storage very quickly. Unless you have a very large SSD budget to purchase a very large SSD.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks