View Single Post
kcsummer

kcsummer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IMAC Snow Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
OK, just a few things.

First and foremost, OS X very rarely needs to be installed clean. There's not much a normal user can modify outside of the home folder, so at worst, if you want a clean slate, you can just create a new account and delete the old one.

Given the circumstances, it sounds very likely that your hard disk is in a failing state. Hard disk failures can manifest themselves in a variety of different ways. It can just go out and stop working, but more often, a portion of the disk becomes damaged - so the installer won't know that it's writing to a partially bad drive - and this is likely the cause of the extremely long install time. Typically an OS X install should take no longer than 30-45 minutes - that was your first clue that there's a hardware problem of some kind.

At this point, I would recommend running the Apple Hardware Test:

Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test

This will help you to isolate the problem. If it is indeed the hard disk, your next step will be to replace it - then it's time to reinstall OS X and then finally, work to recover your lost data (if possible).
I could never get the Hardware Test to start even though I tried everything suggested. But that doesn't surprise me because that is the way this whole thing has been.
Other suggestions have been made such as Safe Boot and I can't even do that.

I think its time to donate this thing to the scrap heap. It looks brand new but that's the only positive.

Months of trying getting nowhere . I'm in whining mode again. Sorry but I'm just fed up (and broke). No more Apples for me. Thanks though for trying to help.
QUOTE Thanks