View Single Post
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrd View Post

Option A
  • Mini: 2.6GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16GB Mem, 1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm = $1200
  • 240 GB SSD to replace 1TB drive = $250
  • NEC PA271W-bk-sv monitor =$1100
  • Total price = $2550
Option B
  • 27 iMac: 3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz, 16GB Mem, 1TB Fusion Drive = $2650 (can't replace drive, buying 16GB on 2x8GB allows a simple addition of 2x8GB more for 32GB)
  • Total price = $2650

Price is almost a wash...
It looks like you are trying to put together a pretty high-end Macintosh system…and since the prices are very close (unless you go with "RavingMac's" suggestion)…you would TOTALLY be doing yourself a disservice by going with the Mac-Mini!!!

For one VERY BIG reason…the graphics hardware. You're getting MUCH MUCH better graphics hardware with the 27" iMac (dedicated video hardware…with 1gig of vram). The graphics hardware on the Mac-Mini doesn't even come close.

If you were saving BIG BUCKS getting the Mac-Mini…then I can understand. But considering that the graphics hardware in either case (Mac-Mini or iMac) is NOT upgradeable after purchase…and that you're trying to put together a higher-end system…you got to go with the 27" iMac!

- Nick

p.s. Also consider that:

- the iMac's 3.4ghz i7 quad-core cpu is going to be a bunch faster than the Mac-Mini's 2.6ghz quad-core cpu
- the iMac is actually upgradeable to 32gig of ram…and the Mac-Mini max's out at 16gig of ram.

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks