Member Since: May 20, 2008
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5
09-27-2012, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by mr g5
I have an original Mac Pro 1,1. It hasn't been used in awhile, its still running 10.4 haha.
OSX Lion is listed as a compatible operating system (I know 10.8 can be installed with some hacks, but I want this machine to be stable).
Technically speaking…the only thing you NEED to upgrade for your Mac Pro 1,1 to run Lion is to upgrade the ram to 2gig.
But for everyday use…I would recommend at least 4gig…and 8gig would probably be best (like Harry mentioned).
But here are two "watchouts":
1. Your bigger problem is purchasing Lion…since it is no longer available for sale at the Mac App Store. What you need to do is call Apple (800 number) to buy it.
2. Ram for Mac Pro 1,1's is NOT cheap.
Your Mac Pro should have 8 ram slots. The least expensive way to upgrade your ram is to fill all 8 slots with 512meg sticks of ram (purchased via e-Bay). This is the ram that most folks when upgrading are removing. If you fill all 8 slots this way you will have 4gig of ram.
If you want 8gig of ram…then the least expensive way would be to fill all 8 slots with 1gig sticks of ram. Which will cost you approx. $238 bucks (like I said the ram for Mac Pro 1,1's is not cheap):
OWC 53FB1MPK08GB 8.0GB Mac Pro Memory Matched Pair... in stock at OWC
- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery