View Single Post
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
I've read several posts explaining that damage will likely still occur due to corrosion, but I really didn't see any liquid on the logic board, does that matter? Or is it more of what I don't see? Should I try to find someone to take it apart for me and clean it up? Is there anything I can do now that would save me from future problems?
First things first. Make sure the photos are safely tucked away on a DVD or CD and if possible, make two copies. Of course backup any other data that you feel necessary.

As to any future problems that may crop up, it's a toss up. Sometimes things dry out and no corrosion occurs. If you can find someone who would take the machine apart and clean it up and it won't cost you an arm and a leg to do, by all means do it.

I am a bit concerned about your battery and the charging cycle. That's controlled by the logic board which means that it's possible something may have been shorted out by the spill.

The important thing is that you were able to get your photos back and whatever data was on the hard drive. Even if the machine turns out to be a total loss sometime in the future, you can rejoice over the fact that the most important thing you treasure was not lost. You can always replace the machine but not those photos.
QUOTE Thanks