View Single Post
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

This will be my last comment on the topic for we are going in circles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy B. Singer View Post
It sounds to me as if you have no useful suggestions for Mac users. And it appears to me that you are arguing just to argue, to stand up for Microsoft vs. Apple, and to tell all Mac users that they are "complacent." Frankly, it sounds to me as if you just don't like Mac users.
I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that I don't like Mac users. Nothing I have said would suggest that this was the case.

Quote:
Maybe someone else wants to speak up about being called "complacent" and being told that the Mac OS after 10 years is "untested" and that there will be a big onslaught of viruses for the Mac any day now and that we all aren't being "vigilant" enough (whatever that all means). [...] As far as having users "remain vigilant" you have yet to define what you mean by that.
Two quick points. First, I don't call anyone complacent. I've mentioned that multiple times now. I was referring to the logic employed earlier. The logic used and the individual are two different things - it's very possible to have very bad logic and be a generally astute person (as I'm sure you are). Second, I'm not sure why I need to define vigilant. The word is pretty self-explanatory.

Quote:
Users can run out and purchase anti-virus software, but since such software requires definitions for existing viruses to work, and since no such viruses exist, doing so would be a waste of money. Also, using AV software unnecessarily slows down one's Mac and may even make it unstable.
I never once suggested that users go out and buy AV software.

Quote:
If you are saying that Mac users don't have any concerns about viruses that might one day show up, I think that is both unfounded and offensive. Mac users can be concerned without having to be paranoid. Paranoia might be appropriate for Windows users, with over a million threats to worry about. Mac users don't have to be paranoid. That's why most of them are using a Mac.
Yes, I am suggesting that a portion of the Mac user base has been led to believe that Macs are impenetrable machines which leads them to believe that they can browse the web with impunity. I don't think it's a very large portion of the population but I do believe that they exist. Do I think this is reflective of the population at large? Absolutely not. Do I think it's a logic worth contending? Absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I know him very well and he is no Mac hater and for sure not a Windows lover. Unix geek actually. All he is saying is nothing is perfect and that is very true.
This sums up what I wanted to say about myself (which I shouldn't have to do). I use a Mac because I enjoy it. As for the contention that I, "just don't like Mac users," I'll let my position as an administrator on a Mac forum speak for itself. I'm a little bothered that you would suggest such a thing for I would like to think that my actions around here have made my views on Macs sufficiently clear. Second, yes, I am arguing that nothing is perfect. This has been my contention throughout this debate. I also believe that recognizing this is beneficial for all. Why? Simple: by recognizing that nothing is perfect, that OS X has flaws and that serious threats are an inevitability, we'll all be better off. Resting on the laurels of the past makes us happy now but doesn't help us in the future. With specific references to AV soltuions, lambasting individuals for thinking AV software is an option is an inappropriate response. Instead of using it as a chance to disparage people (I'm not claiming that you do but many others do), we should use it as an opportunity to educate people about the "malware landscape" that we have to deal with as Mac users.

With that, I have made my point. If you have any concerns with what I have said, feel free to voice them but know that I have nothing new to say.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks