View Single Post
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
I can't recommend a blanket solution because every circumstance is different.
It sounds to me as if you have no useful suggestions for Mac users. And it appears to me that you are arguing just to argue, to stand up for Microsoft vs. Apple, and to tell all Mac users that they are "complacent." Frankly, it sounds to me as if you just don't like Mac users.

Which is why I'm not going to continue this exchange. There are supposedly over 10,000 members of this discussion group. Maybe someone else wants to speak up about being called "complacent" and being told that the Mac OS after 10 years is "untested" and that there will be a big onslaught of viruses for the Mac any day now and that we all aren't being "vigilant" enough (whatever that all means).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
All I'm asking is for you to acknowledge that Apple isn't perfect while recognizing that it is not inappropriate for end users to remain vigilant.
I never said that Apple is "perfect" and I don't believe that they are. In fact, I believe that they are far from perfect. Those are all your words. However, I do believe that Apple understands that security is one of the Mac's big selling points, and that it is very much in their interest to keep the Mac as secure as possible. To that end I believe that Apple is going the extra mile to make sure that the Mac remains secure. I believe that Apple showed how far they are willing to go with the Mac Defender threat. See:
Mac malware 'explosion' missing in action | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog

Experts: OS X now much more secure than rivals
Experts: OS X now much more secure than rivals | MacNN

Lion Security: Building on the iOS Foundation
TidBITS Safe Computing: Lion Security: Building on the iOS Foundation
"...we have security options never before available to consumers"

Major overhaul makes OS X Lion king of security
Major overhaul makes OS X Lion king of security ? The Register

Apple exposing Mac OS X Lion to security experts for review
Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: Apple exposing beta to security experts for review

As far as having users "remain vigilant" you have yet to define what you mean by that.

Users can run out and purchase anti-virus software, but since such software requires definitions for existing viruses to work, and since no such viruses exist, doing so would be a waste of money. Also, using AV software unnecessarily slows down one's Mac and may even make it unstable.

Users can be paranoid, and not use the Internet, but I think that would be rather extreme...and unnecessary.

I'm not sure how Mac users could be "vigilant" enough to satisfy you. If you are saying that Mac users don't have any concerns about viruses that might one day show up, I think that is both unfounded and offensive. Mac users can be concerned without having to be paranoid. Paranoia might be appropriate for Windows users, with over a million threats to worry about. Mac users don't have to be paranoid. That's why most of them are using a Mac.

As I said, I'm not going to continue with this exchange. Maybe someone else would like to defend Mac users here.

Randy B. Singer

Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
QUOTE Thanks