View Single Post
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy B. Singer View Post
Other than attacking my position and doing absurd things like calling me "complacent" (which is the very last thing that I am, I probably follow this subject more closely than anyone here) and attacking my punctuation, I can't figure out what it is that you are advocating. You are attacking my position and my use of words, but you haven't really suggested that Mac users do anything specifically.
I made my solution pretty clear at the end:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Where then do we go then with our advice? That depends on the question being asked but in no circumstance should it involve calling others "bigots", spreading messages of complacency or downplaying an inevitable threat to the point of insignificance.
I can't recommend a blanket solution because every circumstance is different. That's the crux of what I've been saying here - we don't know how each circumstance will play out so it is unfair to new users to suggest that they try to fit into a logic that doesn't allow for wiggle room.

Second, I didn't call you complacent. Rather, I was concerned with the logic that you were advocating and the complacency that it's supporting. For all I know, you're the least complacent person in the entire world. Who you are is not my concern however. What I'm concerned with is the message that you are advocating which appears to be complacent in nature. It's here that I return to my original argument - believing that Apple will simply take care of each and every threat when the time comes is a belief soaked in complacency. All I'm asking is for you to acknowledge that Apple isn't perfect while recognizing that it is not inappropriate for end users to remain vigilant. There's nothing wrong with believing that Apple will work to keep up with security threats but it is another thing to suggest that we should just let Apple do all the hard work for us.

Quote:
Your statements that the "Mac OS is untested" are non-sensical. That would assume that over the past 10 years that no one has tried to create a virus for OS X, a proposition I know for a fact to be untrue. Quite the contrary, OS X is a very well tested personal computer OS. It has stood the test of very public use by tens of millions of users for over a decade.
Care to provide some examples for this?

This argument also doesn't negate anything I said earlier. Regardless of whether or not OS X has remained immune from viruses doesn't make future infections impossible. Waiting until the problem occurs and then fixing it is the wrong attitude to take if we can be proactive now by encouraging awareness.

Quote:
Your claims that Apple doesn't respond to threats to the Mac very much sound like those of a Windows bigot, or at least you believe their claims. It's true that Apple hasn't immediately patched every vulnerability in their OS. But Apple doesn't live to satisfy all of their critics, they do things at the rate that makes sense to them.
And as I suggested, sometimes that isn't fast enough. This is why believing that Apple will always make the right decisions is the wrong attitude to have. Perhaps the ultimate question here is this: what makes Apple so much better prepared than Microsoft? If OS X were to gain an "attack worthy" market share, what is it about Apple that makes them a much better developer with regards to security? For all I know, they might be better (I can't see into the future) but I don't think it's reasonable to suggest that they would be leagues ahead of other companies if we have nothing to go on.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but to me you sound either like a Windows bigot or someone who has bought into what Windows bigots have to say. I really can't argue with a bigot, or someone who wants to call me "complacent" when there isn't even the slightest evidence that I am, or who wants to scare average Mac users. I can only hope that average Mac users will read what I've written in this thread and, most importantly, checked out the many links that I've provided to back up what I've said.
I'm just going to remind you of the Community Guidelines, specifically with regards to the section that deals with treatment of other members. Please be aware of that before you continue what appears to be a determination to call everyone who disagrees with you a bigot. Feel free to disagree with anything I say but you need to stop denigrating the character of those of us who you happen to disagree with.

Finally, I don't think encouraging awareness and vigilance, while refraining from arguing that "Apple knows best all the time" is scaring them. In fact, I'd suggest that encouraging users to be proactive in their thinking will help keep OS X secure for much longer than a reactionary based logic.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post

Last edited by vansmith; 04-02-2012 at 09:57 PM.
QUOTE Thanks