View Single Post
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
This viewpoint epitomizes the type of logic that reinforces a deeply and fundamentally problematic complacency in the Mac community.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy B. Singer View Post
That virus that is "inevitable" will be *the first*. And at that point there will *only be one*. And Apple will push out a new definition to defeat it using Xprotect probably the very next day.
Not to sound inconsiderate but if that doesn't epitomize complacency, I don't know what does. Using punctuation to emphasize/de-emphasize the seriousness of words ("inevitable" and *the first*) while extolling the virtues of a company based on an inference that has no basis in evidence (how do we know Apple will be able to defeat a virus if there's never been one?) epitomizes a complacency that will prove to be incredibly problematic when that first virus rolls out (we need to remember that Apple takes its sweet time with patches some times). Thus, you may not be explicit in emphasizing a complacent attitude but it comes out in your language.

Quote:
I haven't suggested complacency to anyone. In fact, I preach just the opposite. Knowledge is what will keep a Mac user safe. In this very thread I've suggested how folks can protect themselves. Did you miss that?
No but there's a difference between what you're saying here and what you've said in the past. This is the issue that we are contending.

Quote:
What I'm very much against is folks going around needlessly scaring ordinary Mac users into thinking that they need to run out and purchase anti-virus software. For the average Mac user doing so is a waste of money, and it is likely to negatively impact their Mac's performance and stability.
In principle, we all agree with you. However, we don't think it's necessary to call others bigots and accuse them of spreading FUD when they put forth an argument that doesn't gel well with ours.

Quote:
The thing is, Windows-bigots and the sensationalistic press have been predicting that there will be a flood of viruses for the Mac "real soon now" for the an entire decade. We're still waiting for even one.
You've predicted that OS X will only have minimal threats that Apple will be able to handle with ease. What's the difference between that logic and the logic that you're arguing is "sensationalist"? Both seem to espouse a certainty that lacks any evidence.

Quote:
You may want to just relax and enjoy that security (without being "complacent") until you hear that you need to do otherwise.
Again, this borders on complacent. There's nothing wrong with being vigilant and calling those who express concerns "sensationalist" and "bigots" encourages them to think otherwise.

Quote:
Major overhaul makes OS X Lion king of security
Major overhaul makes OS X Lion king of security ? The Register

Experts: OS X now much more secure than rivals
Experts: OS X now much more secure than rivals | MacNN
And there is evidence to the contrary - here, here and here.

Listen, I'm not trying to make OS X as a whole look bad or argue that we should all be out with virtual shotguns warding off any potential threats. In fact, I think with proper vigilance and adequate cognizance of history's lessons, OS X can be a solid OS (the emphasis there is purposive). Suggesting that others are spread FUD while extolling the benefits of a largely untested platform (no viruses means no real testing) is incredibly problematic and we should not be conveying this message to people who are new to the platform. Should we be telling them all to lock down the machine and prepare for an onslaughts of viruses? Of course not. Should we be resting on the laurels of the past as a measuring stick for an unknown future and in so doing, encourage people to, "just relax and enjoy [...] until you hear that you need to do otherwise"? Absolutely not. Where then do we go then with our advice? That depends on the question being asked but in no circumstance should it involve calling others "bigots", spreading messages of complacency or downplaying an inevitable threat to the point of insignificance.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks